Paramedic mum shares eye-opening reality of what happens to child that swallows battery

Young children love to get their hands on anything and everything and often put random items in their mouths.

More often than not, such undertaking is harmless and can even contribute to building a child’s immune system.

Nevertheless, not everything is as safe to swallow and a mother recently proved just that.

Paramedic mum, Nikki from Australia, shared a jaw-dropping video on her Instagram account, Tiny Hearts Education, where she exposed the dangers of consuming button batteries.

The small pieces, containing lithium and zinc silver, or manganese, are extremely easy for babies to swallow.

Unfortunately, these tiny items, which can easily be confused as candy, can cause serious issues if swallowed.

Nikki demonstrated using two hot dog sausages, exactly what type of damage the batteries could cause over two hours following their consumption – and a potential way to prevent further harm from being inflicted.

In the clip the mum shared on social media, she placed one button battery each into the flesh of two sausages and left them for a couple of hours.

To one of the sausages, Nikki applied 10ml of honey every 10 minutes after placing the battery inside of it.

Nikki’s video showed the aftermath with the blackened and carbonised insides of one sausage as well as the barely impaired ones in the other that had the honey.

This gesture appeared to reduce the damage caused by the battery in comparison to the sausage that had not received any honey treatment.

At the end of the video, Nikki could be heard saying: “If I ever suspect my kids have swallowed a battery, I’ll definitely be reaching for the honey.”

Nikki adds that she was inspired to conduct her at-home experiment after she discovered that this form of treatment was recommended and given as a first-aid treatment in some countries.

A person commented: “Oh yep 100% our friend is an RN and we had a playdate and long story short couldn’t find a button battery, one tblspoon of honey even 5-10 minutes until seen, the paediatrician and ED nurse later confirmed that it significantly reduces damage, as it costs the battery.”

While this is all very interesting, it’s important to remember there is no medical evidence in the UK to support Nikki’s experiment and therefore, should you suspect a child has swallowed a button battery, it is highly recommended to dial 999 immediately.

According to The Battery Controlled campaign, when a coin-sized lithium button battery gets stuck in a child’s throat, the saliva triggers an electrical current. Consuming batteries can cause a chemical reaction that might severely burn the oesophagus.